Saturday, August 16, 2008

Heroes

My oldest son knew who Michael Jordan was before he was two. He could pick out the Michael Jordan logo on anything even before that. I guess to some Michael is a hero, he could dunk like no one else, he made a presence on and off the court...he was just an all around great basketball player. But I don't know that I would call him an athletic hero. He gets paid millions still for clothing that has the signature jump man and has mansions all over the country.

The olympics have brought about some heroes in my mind. Of course Michael Phelps...who my three year old jumps up and down on the couch and SCREAMS go Michael go Michael and Dara Torres. We had a camp out in my husband and my room last night. Jake was supposed to sleep in his tent but of course ended up in my bed. In the dark with the light of the tv illuminating his face he watched Dara Torres qualify. I explained to Jake that she was a mom, much older than the rest of the field and that she trained very hard to show the world what moms of every age can achieve if they put their minds to it. She is my hero.

I guess hero can be defined anyway you want it to, but the biggest heroes in my life are the moms and dads who everyday strive to raise the best children possible, lead a decent life, have some type of faith and walk an honest path. My heroes definately include Dara Torres, but also all of the moms in my stroller fitness class, StrollerFit and those moms who work daily at being the best mom and role model there is in this world. All moms should get gold medals...if Dara wins gold I think she will have a gold that all moms should be proud of.

www.strollerfit.com
www.hiptobemom.com

No comments: